Sunday 4 March 2012

Leaning over the table,  to avoid the click clacking of my heels from disturbing them, i stood there and  watched them spill paragraph after paragraph, from their super crammed brains. Its strange how you end up teaching them for one whole year, but notice the features on their young faces, only during an exam. While the nonchalant commentator in my head went on and on, my gaze stopped at this particular child.

There i was, in that  very moment, uttering a prayer beneath my breath, wishing that he does really well in life.  When everything in life has always spiralled  down to ME, perhaps for the very first time,  i knew what its like, to wish things for another.  It reminded me of you. Reminded me of how i was always the kid to you. And how you must have found the simplest of joys by just being there for me.  

I remember learning how to add, subtract and multiply, for a life full of calculations and decision making. I remember how you were my safety net, when it came to confronting mom about my unruly behaviour.  Do you remember those days in the terrace? Those evenings with long power cuts, and sky watching. It was a pretext to get away from books . Mental mathematics. Grr  I am yet to hunt the author of that book and shoot him down. lol

Back then, technology had not dug its talons, into the very core of our being. Childhood was so simple. Remember running barefoot to the backyard and hiding things near the washing stone?  Those painstakingly collected shells, colorful pebbles and pieces of metal. It was nothing less than a treasure to us.

Climbing onto the mango tree in the neighbours garden,observing the world beneath, and swinging our legs to the melody of old hindi songs. Your voice so melodious.  And mine equally jarring. I would sing loudly just to impress that cute 8th grader next door. haha and you would frown and the prospect of him being your future brother in law.

Remember those hurried mornings?  The tug of war with the bathroom door, was so much fun. I would prolong my shower, just to ensure you have no hot water left. And yet you would press my uniform,  give in to my puppy-face-looks,  hesitantly forge mom's signature on my diary and get me out of  looming trouble.  Perhaps you even knew of my secretly nurtured jealousy, about that badge on your shirt. You never wore it till you reached class, just so i feel better.  How come you were so considerate, i wonder?

Inspite of being an agnostic, when forced into the prayer room, i bet half your wishes were for me.  Perhaps the older ones , are always more considerate. While, you discovered the joy of loving unselfishly at 15. Me? The idiot that i am, learnt it a decade later.

So, as i stood there gazing at this child, while he intently filled his answer scripts,  it suddenly struck me, that its perhaps the only wish, where i have no ulterior selfish motive. It wasn't  about my dreams, my family, or my relationship with G. For once, its not about ME. Its just...about being older, and wanting to make every single thorn on their path vanish.  Its about wanting them to grow up to be awesome people:)  Aww kids.

I watched, observed , smiled, and realized i had it all wrong. Happiness is simple.  And that tiny world inside your heart, which isn't driven by ulterior motives, is perhaps the one that clears the mist in your mind.  Its the one that keeps us connected in the truest sense. hehe sometimes i love my job. Some moments, like these, are fulfilling:)

8 comments:

  1. Bingo..I'm a teacher too :) and at times as I watch them diligently doing the math,I made a silent prayer for them to excel in the life..Its so fulfilling..Kids are just adorable.right?

    And about this post its a beautiful dedication to ur sister..

    Happiness is simple..I realize that today when I came out of the classroom with a smile drawn on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful.. :)
    Such a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. Nostalgic moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Other side of me- Yea kids are truly adorable and the best part to it is that they are clueless about it.
    ummm its dedicated to my brother:P

    @vyanks and Aaekay- Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohw..brother :| okay,but its still a beautiful dedication :)

      Delete
  5. A very sweet dedication to your brother. A moving post indeed, Aishwarya

    ReplyDelete
  6. lost in memories after reading ..

    yes childhood was so simple then with out the gadgets and video games, it was the company of friends we used to enjoy more..

    ReplyDelete